2.20.2007

Another Birthday.












Last weekend I had a Birthday. Jerry and Charlie sang to me while Will banged a wooden spoon in his high chair. They presented me with a cake with 23 on the top. The numbers were reversed, but whatever.

I was giddy all day. I had a massage, pedicure, and manicure. I had the following conversation with the lady doing my discount manicure:
Me: Oh, don't file the sides of the nails, please.
Her: Um, ok.
Me (sensing obvious discomfort). Thanks.
Her: Why don't you want sides filed?
Me: Because it weakens the nails.
Her: Who told you that?
What are we? In seventh grade? I have to provide references for facts that we all know are facts?

Aaaaanyway. I also enjoyed a cup of coffee, by myself, in peace.

And read my book, the Bonesetter's Daughter, at my favorite cafe.

And at night, we went out to dinner with friends.

I was happy all day, because I love my birthday, because I am inherintly a little self-centered.

Top Seven: How I Know I Am Getting Old.
7. Last week I heard myself say the following (while at McDonald's): Oh, I love this song.

6. I have lately felt very excited whenever I get to drive somewhere. I drive a minivan. We just bought it. I love it.

5. I haven't been to a concert in over two years. I haven't been stoned in ten years. I haven't been drunk in at least two weeks.

4. I recently signed up for an IRA, and got excited. I have life insurance.

3. For my Birthday dinner, we reserved our babysitter until midnight. Jerry scoffed when he heard me say that. A little before midnight, I reluctantly admitted to our friends that I had to go home because I couldn't stay awake any longer. When I say, "a little before midnight," I actually mean 9:15.

2. I find myself often choosing Briefs instead of my once-trusty Low Waisted Hipsters. I like my briefs cuz when I bend over, they don't show crack. They stay up, reliably, all day long. They also look like old lady panties, complete with some bunching in the back. But the truth is, I don't care.

1. There are all sorts of ways to become cool. If I wanted to appear cool, I could read up on bands and clothes and pop culture. But I honestly, truthfully do not care about appearances anymore. And I am happy about that.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kyla said...

Happy birthday!!! I'm old, too, but the age on your cake was my actual age. Old-ness happens to everyone. I think kids kind of suck the youth out of you. *lol*

6:26 AM  
Blogger KZ said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I, too, am a fan of the brief. Function, baby, function!!!

12:44 PM  
Blogger dodo said...

I can't remember the time we last used a babysitter past 10pm. fortunately i was never cool to start with - when my classmates were listening to the bands of the day, I was absorbed in dead jazz greats. I was thinking i may may up for it and get cool when I'm 60.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

I was with you on everything until you said "I haven't been drunk in at least two weeks." Dude, you were drunk two weeks ago?? I haven't been drunk in YEARS! You go, girl. Happy bday!

Cristina/MotR

3:01 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like a good day. And I think that's the beauty of being in your 30's... You start to feel more confortable in your skin... You feel more Ok with things that used to bother you in your 20's.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home