1.15.2007

I have a dream
I am trying to prepare for next week’s multicultural awareness week in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Birthday. This is a little tough with two- and three-year-olds, being that I’m not sure they are ready to talk about treatment of African Americans pre 1960s, getting shot, or picketing. So I am focusing instead on the general concept of diversity, loving one another, and looking beyond appearances. I checked out some great books about animals from different species who have become friends in spite of their differences. I have a globe and books about different cultures, how they live, and the foods they eat. I printed some coloring pages of kids holding hands, and plan to buy some “skin color” Crayolas. I bought some rainbow happy faces because, I don’t know, they seemed pretty cool. So my theme for next week is almost complete.

Me: Jerry, can you help me think of a TV show or movie that I can Tivo which highlights people of different backgrounds learning to get along together?
Jerry: Yeah, The Office.

Perfect.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kyla said...

Little Bill? They have a good diverse group of kiddos. Asian, african american, red headed, characters with walkers or wheelchairs, a worker in the store who is deaf and Little Bill learns to sign with, ect. When looking for a diverse children's program, Little Bill gets a gold star. And I think it is super cute as well. :)

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well...he's got a point. Sort of.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

We don't have Little Bill, so Sesame Street and Dora win. :)

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home