9.17.2006


I'm all for public breastfeeding, but...
Today I discovered fine lines around my eye area, so I took the kids to the mall to buy some overpriced eye cream with the hope of erasing a few months. Will got hungry, so we went into the Family Restroom. Ever since his vision developed enough to be 20/20, he has been the easily distractable breastfeeder. As in, suck twice, then pull away to look at Charlie, suck once more, look at fascinating wallpaper, suck three times (just enough to make my milk start squirting), then stop to watch a fly fly by.

Which brings me to my new favorite "hey, over here!" technique. It's called the Lift and Squirt. Step one: lift breast so that it is at the exact location of baby's mouth, wherever that may be. Step two: squeeze breast so as to squirt into, or near, or in the general vicinity of baby's mouth. This generally causes the "oh yea, that's what I was doing" thought for baby, which causes feeding to resume.

Just as I am using the L&S technique, a man and his son barge into the Family Restroom.

The horror. The quick look away. The come on, Jr., let's come back later comment. The embarassment on my part. Cuz I am all for public breastfeeding, but now I remember why I used to be modest. It's easy to forget that the rest of the world isn't around lactating women and our ways all the time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cristina said...

Don't be mad, but this cracked me up. I could just see that guy walking in and thinking he was going to get squirted!

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home