10.24.2006

I loved my job today.

After many days of feeling that things were not working with my easily-tantrumed, extremely loud, stubborn and often-incompatable group, things finally clicked. For two days in a row.

Today we talked about the five senses - smell, in particular. We read My Five Senses, and the girl in the book smelled a horse (who writes this stuff?) I looked at the kids and asked, "What do you think a horse smells like?" One boy said, with total confidence, "grass."

Later I let them smell all sorts of things in little Dixie cups: honey, basil, lemon juice, soy sauce, onion powder, marjoram, crushed black pepper. Although they were brimming with excitement over such a hands-on activity, after each sniff, each child laughed, "eeew, yucky!"

My new shy boy, who is the youngest and smallest of the group, and who has spent the last four weeks on the sidelines watching cautiously, opened up this week. Not only did he let a boy hug him, but he leaned into him a little, and smiled. He ran after the other kids with glee as they ran through the house. He walked up to me and, when I was looking elsewhere, poked my thigh, then smiled slyly as if to tell me he liked me.

Even "Lucy," the passionate, tempermental, future high-paying executive finally responded to my conditioning. When she started to tantrum over silly stuff and I said, "Oh, we aren't going to cry about that," she put her shoulders back, stuck her lower lip back in where it belonged, sniffed, and then went about her day, happily.

And Will, my baby. Today was the first day he was part of the daycare. Not just a passive baby who sat on the outskirts. He sat in the little chair that attaches to the daycare table and watched the kids with total fascination as they stabbed and pressed their papers with crayons. He looked truly happy.

Dude, we were on a roll today. Dare I hope this is permanent?

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya,
'Mommy off the Record' sent me.

Glad you had a great day! Can't wait to hear more about you....

Now I am adding you to my blogroll...m'kay?

3:06 AM  
Blogger dodo said...

Hi - she sent me too.

A day with you sounds faaaaaaaaar too good for kids.

And they're too young to appreciate how good they have it. Perhaps you could give them all excerpts from your blog when they "graduate" as a keepsake, so when they have their own kids they'll know how its done.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

MOTR stumble linker here! Great idea about the five senses! I venture to say, go ahead and hope for the permanence! Stranger things have happened so you never know. You might just get a whole whopping week of good!

6:08 AM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

Hurray for a good day. I think days like that are what sustain us through not-so-good days ....

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am here via the wonderful words of Mommy off the Record.

Your daycare sounds so rewarding! I love the hands on smell test. Seeing their different personalities interact must be amazing to watch. Especially on the good days!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Kyla said...

So the weirdest thing just happened to me. I was reading MOTR and she was describing this wonderful person, and I kept thinking "That sounds just like Red Rollerskate, but it can't be!" and then it was!! It was so weird!!

Also, hooray for good days!! I read this post earlier, but didn't have time to comment, as KayTar was filling her pants with a gift for me...but I'm glad it was a day when everything clicked...and Will will be a part of things before you know it...in the blink of an eye!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Awesome. Kids playing together warms the heart like chili on a cold Saturday. Or grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch.

Andrea (http://littlebalddoctors.wordpress.com ~ please ignore the blogger profile address. I don't write on blogger anymore, but have to keep the sign in open for sites that don't take anon comments)

P.S. here from Christina's place.

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww. It's the shy ones who get me, every time.

8:26 AM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

I came over from Mommy off the Record. Loved the links to Impeach and Waxing Lady, so funny! Good luck finding a house....

9:34 AM  
Blogger Tracie Nall said...

Yeah!! Sounds like a good day. and like you are doing a great job with those kids.

Mommy Off the Record sent me, but I will definately be back.

11:45 AM  
Blogger The Silent K said...

Hi,

So you work in a daycare?

I have serious admiration for you. It is good work, caring for kids all day. It takes a special kind of person to manage all those dynamics and different age groups.

4:35 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

>>Perhaps you could give them all excerpts from your blog when they "graduate" as a keepsake, so when they have their own kids they'll know how its done.

Dodo - Even the excerps about their very bratty days??

6:37 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Janet/Wonder Mom - Thanks for adding me! My first time living on someone's blog roll. I'm moving on up.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Kyla,
I am totally amazed that you knew it was me. How, oh how, did you know??? You are so insightful. Thanks for always being so positive!

>>as KayTar was filling her pants with a gift for me

That's funny.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

bub&pie, I know. I love the shy ones too. They are rare around here.
crazymumma-thanks for the good luck. We actually did find a house and are living in it now! Maybe I'll post about that later.
Tracie and everyone- thank you for the encouragement. So very nice of you.
Krista - I actually have my own home daycare. In my home. Which means I have some say in the kids that come here, but I also have boogers, dough, slime, and mysterious substances stuck under my kitchen table at the end of every day.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

It was the two kids, and the home daycare, and the ITMFA....and the general awesomeness that tipped me off. It really was so weird that it actually was you!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Kyla - I think you might also be insightful and like, in tune with the world. :)

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home