10.17.2006

I need to be more like a car salesman.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
One of my daycare parents/clients has become a good friend. Her son, who I have watched for over a year, is my son's best friend. She always tells her friends how happy she is with me, and I often feel like he is my favorite daycare child. I know him well, we trust each other, he is eager to learn and bright, and, well, I just like him.

The mom is pregnant and she told me she isn't sure if she can have Mikey here during her unpaid maternity leave, but she would think about it. I told her I could only guarantee his spot would still be open upon her return if she would pay half the normal tuition, and in exchange, I would watch him three mornings a week. Today she told me her decision: she will keep him here only one day a week and I'll get about one-quarter of what I usually get for watching him.

When we were discussing this, and before she made a firm decision, I told her that I wasn't sure I could hold his spot if he only came one day per week. I watch four kids, so his tuition is one-quarter of my income. While I'll try to find a temporary kid for the three months that he is gone, those kids are hard to find this time of year. Who looks for new daycare in between Christmas shopping and hanging red and green house lights?

But at the same time, I was also completely honest with her. I told her that I don't want to fill his spot with some other kid. That I care about him, I enjoy watching and teaching him, and I don't want to see him go. I told her I will try to do what I can to find a temporary kid, or whatever else it takes, to make ends meet so that his spot is still open. This is not just a business decision, but a personal one.

Today when she told me her final decision, I was surprised to find myself feeling sorta angry, or duped. I have no right to feel this way. After all, she gave me two weeks' notice for the schedule/rate change, she is within her rights, and she has her own financial concerns. And it isn't even about the fact that we are friends; after all, I hoped that she, my friend, would have made a decision that would benefit me financially. I just had this feeling that she opted to save money because she knew that I would take him back regardless. I made it so very clear that I want him to stay.

So my immediate instinct is to post his opening. I know that instinct exists because I am bitter, not because it is the best thing for my daycare. But I still might do it.

FIrst I'm going to have a kid-free moment with Seinfeld and coffee ice cream.

(c) 2006 Red Rollerskate. Don't mess with a pissy girl.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I have alot of respect for women who can deal with more than two or three kids EACH AND EVERY DAY. That takes alot of energy and organization. My hat is off to you. I'm a complete wussy in that regard.

Yes, that does suck. Especially since you are scrambling to find another kid. She might just realize, while on maternity leave, that she NEEDS him to be at daycare. That she wants time to sleep and bond with baby. So she might just change her mind... Here's hoping she does -- or at least you find a kid to fill in the rest of those spots...

10:09 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Lisa, Thanks for the sympathy. Actually it is easier to watch my own son when his best friends are over. And having structured days is KEY!
I did mention to her the desire she'll have to bond w/ baby ALONE. I think her hubby was kind of like, "why do we need to pay for daycare when you'll be home? it can't be *that* hard to watch a baby plus one!" On one hand, I think she will end up needing me. OTOH, they might just not have the money. Bummer for both of us.
Thanks for visiting my blog!

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home