9.29.2006

Watching other people's kids
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
There is something funny about other people's kids. Their poop is about 10 times stinkier and at least twice as green as my own kids'. Their cries are screechy and painful. So why do I do it? A lot of daycare providers I know give one honest answer—to stay home with their own kids. This was my answer a year ago.

But there is more to it now. When I first started this, Charlie and his new buddy had just turned 2. In the first week, they learned all their colors, then immediately started counting to ten. The next week or so, they seemed to spontaneously learn their shapes. Over the next few months we learned manners and they started to respect me a little. I loved watching them learn and enjoyed watching Charlie interact with different kids.

I've found that they have as much to offer Charlie as vice versa. They teach him crazy antics, help develop his verbal skills, teach him to share and play nice. They say funny things. They are aloof for months on end and then suddenly, start to hug me. They squeal at stupid things and giggle when they see food, trucks, poop, or bugs. They are eager to learn about everything and appreciate even my lamest attempts to teach them. They laugh at me when I dance and imitate me when we do Itsy Bitsy Spider.

And, finally, not only do I not have to talk about TPS Reports, but I find myself saying things like:
Stop licking the table
Don't lick his finger
The baby is not a couch
Don't eat that booger
Don't sit on her face
You cannot own the color blue. You can share your favorite color.
Are you licking the floor again?
No, we do not eat cat food here.
And so on.

Plus, they give me a lot to write about. So I'm in this for awhile.

8 Comments:

Blogger Bea said...

When my kids were sick last week, my home-care provider called several times to see how they were doing and emphasized each time how much she missed them (they're the only two children she has in care in addition to her 16-month-old). I'm glad I read this post, because she seems very sincere but I couldn't help wondering "Is she for real?"

At the same time, having my kids take turns being sick really showed me how much they do to entertain one another: it's no easy task looking after just one child!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I truly feel like my 3 year-old is more challenging to watch on the weekends when his buddies aren't around to keep him busy.
In terms of daycare kids, there is one who I LOVE to watch (my son's BFF), and I am holding his spot open w/o pay even when mom takes a 3 month maternity leave. On the flip side, there is another child I have a hard time getting cuddly with because she is so contrary... kids are just like adults in the sense that I am not compatable with all of them. That's another post for another day!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Gosh, if I had a dollar for every time M licked the floor.... :)

You are such a good mom. Charlie and Will are going to really benefit from being around kids like this before they get to school. I can't believe that Charlie was only 2 when you started the daycare. I thought he was older. Time flies!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Christina_the_wench said...

Now where does the 5 second rule fit into this when they are already licking the floor? ;)

8:46 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Christina the Wench, I so don't believe in the 5 second rule! EEEW! The way I see it, either my kitchen floor is DIRTY, or else they are licking LYSOL. I'm not sure which is worse.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

C - so your little one licks the floor too, huh? I truly think some things are universal kid things. Right up there with nose picking and stuffing raisins into ears.
A

11:15 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

This was a great post. And it IS true. Other people's kids drive me crazy alot faster than my own. heehee.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup...I wind up saying...Are you licking the floor again often...to everyone BUT my daughter...

(I need your e-mail to play the question game)

2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home